Monday, November 17, 2008

things I'm thankful for...



At church last Sunday, the pastor gave his Thanksgiving sermon... he used a passage from Deuteronomy that got me thinking... He preached on Deut 8: 7-10, I'm gonna use Deut 8:7-14. Here is what I heard/how I interpret these scripture (please, for the "real deal" on these, click the link for the verses and see how you would take them).

My take on Deut 8:7-14
"The Lord your God has brought you through a heck of a lot and now he has brought you to a good place. A place of peace, rest, plenty. You will have everything you need here and will have no use for 'want'. When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the blessings and goodness he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the Lord you God, failing to follow his commands, walking in his ways as are described in his Word. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied and build fine houses and settle down and you have plenty of money and all you have is multiplied, then your hear will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God who brought you out of your slavery..."

What a love smack! I totally needed that. When I think about the Lord and where he has brought me from, I am amazed. I don't mean poverty wise or anything like that. I had all I needed growing up. I mean the dark valleys and the slavery that I found myself in, many times through my personal choices... choices that were usually made out of my "want". For example, there was a time when I didn't think being single was good enough, so I went seeking a relationship anywhere I could find it. Of course they all failed. Of course I was disappointed. But why? I already had all that I would need. God was there for me, he was teaching me lessons in how to trust him, lean on him. He knew that when I met Robbie and we got married that within our marriage Robbie could not be my "everything", that I would still need to come to him for guidance, so he taught me that while I was single.

If we apply this to America in general, especially in our current financial state, we can make another example. It wasn't/isn't good enough to live within the means of what we had... smaller houses with low payments, cars that are paid for, jobs that pay decently. Instead, out of our "want" we take loans bigger than we can afford, inflate the prices of our homes, and buy new or newer cars consistently. We end up indebted to others out of our "want" or a sense of "need" created by envy or what we see others have around us. I think a perfect example of this is when people come visit our house. We have a 3 bed room house with an unfinished bonus room. Robbie has an office here that is in one of the bed rooms. Many times, when people come to visit, including some family members, they say, "Well, you'll need a bigger house when you have kids." For one, how many kids do they think we'll have? I mean, I'm 31. and for two, are you kidding? Our parents raised 2 kids in 3 bedroom houses and we turned out fine. (We'll still have 3 BR if we finish the bonus room). We have all the room that we need. God has provided for us. And if he somehow provides us with more than 2 kids, then I'm sure he'll provide us with another home. One within our means.

So, enough rambling. I am very very thankful this Thanksgiving. We have a home, vehicles that run, a large meal to eat today (and then more this weekend), we'll have a Christmas tree. Robbie doesn't have another job/contract yet, but I know God will provide. Our Christmas may be "skimpy" this year, but these holidays are not about monetary gifts or trivial items to spend money on. The greatest gifts we'll get over these holidays are gifts of time with our family and loved ones. Quality, not quantity. We're all healthy, and we have each other. If God sent his son here as an example of Love, then we should extend that love to those around us. Here's a good list of things to be thankful for this holiday and to ponder coming into the Christmas season:

Isaiah 9

Unto Us a Child Is Born

1 Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. In the past he humbled the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the future he will honor Galilee of the Gentiles, by the way of the sea, along the Jordan-

2 The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned.


3 You have enlarged the nation
and increased their joy;
they rejoice before you
as people rejoice at the harvest,
as men rejoice
when dividing the plunder.

4 For as in the day of Midian's defeat,
you have shattered
the yoke that burdens them,
the bar across their shoulders,
the rod of their oppressor.


5 Every warrior's boot used in battle
and every garment rolled in blood
will be destined for burning,
will be fuel for the fire.

6 For unto us a child is born,
unto us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful,
Counselor,
Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.


7 Of the increase of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty
will accomplish this.

Without these words... this prophecy... and it's completion, I would have no knowledge of true Love and it's meaning in my life.. no way of understanding the full measure of grace or mercy... no way of knowing what it truly means to be humble or Thankful.

Lord, help us not forget the source of our blessings...

No comments: