Thursday, September 11, 2008

something old, something new...

I love Barnes and Noble. When I was a student in my professional program, I studied there all the time. I would take in my books and some music (with ear phones of course) and study all day sometimes. Now that I'm working, I don't get there as much as I used to. I usually just go in when I'm looking for a book to research something that has hit me as interesting. This week, I stopped in to find a peaceful corner to finish my Bible study. We go there to read up on something while our partners read periodicals or the kids are perusing books in the book section. Sometimes we go there seeking a specific purpose, other times just to browse and see if anything strikes us. I can think of a time that I read an entire book there so I didn't have to buy it for class. I even studied for the GRE from a review book at B&N while I was there one afternoon. (Thank you, Kaplan review book, for the score that got me in!) This week I just perused books on crochet and home design when I finished my study. I started conversations with a lady sitting near me in comfy chairs. I enjoyed my time there, very relaxing.

What did we do in town before there was Barnes and Noble booksellers? Where did we go to find information and do some quick research? Where could we find a world of information in one location? You know, it was called "The Library". What is the difference in B&N and the Library? The library is a little more quiet. There are no beverages from Starbuck's at the Library. Barnes and Noble is always cold. There's actually a lot of noise to cut through at B&N to study (blenders, espresso makers, coffee presses, overhead speakers, conversations). The books at the Library can be truly borrowed and not purchased. But when it comes right down to it: It's the same old information (books books books....words, thoughts, ideas) but in a new wrapping.

Have you noticed how they do that with Bibles these days? It's not just the plain old black, brown or burgundy leather choices of old. You can get updated text versions boasting "easier to understand" wording. You can get cool covers. I saw pink, suede, metal cased, clasped, purse sized, large print, and multiple devotional Bibles. It's the same old information, just in a new wrapper. If you wanna get anything out of it, you still have to open it and dig deep. You can't expect it to just open up for you and the words jump off the page.

I think we do that with a lot of things these days. Church.... if you don't like the one you're at because it's too "old fashioned", you change to one in a new wrapper... more contemporary, must make it more Holy, right? But the message is the same. You won't find God in a house of worship unless you open your heart and seek him there. If you go in looking for your friends or a comfort zone instead of God, you'll still be distracted, disappointed and unfulfilled. You can walk in and out of either one and never really know God if you are not actively seeking him yourself on a daily basis.

Praise and Worship.... The music gets more upbeat, more engaging, more invigorating, more contemporary and hymns seem forgotten. In reality, it's just the same old information just in a new wrapper. Take the hymn "Just as I Am" (one stanza): Just as I am without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me and that thou bidst me come to thee, O Lamb of God I come, I come." The guy who wrote that song, he's just a sinner like everyone else and he admits it. He says, "I'm not perfect, I didn't ask you to die for me, but you did. And because you did, even when I was a sinner, I come to you Lord, I owe you my all". Or, the hymn "At the Cross": "At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light and the burdens of my heart rolled away. It was there by faith I received my sight and now I am happy all the day" vs. the contemporary Hillsong's "Lead me to the Cross": "Everything I once held dear, I count it all as loss. Lead me to the cross, where your love poured out, bring me to my knees, Lord I lay me down. Rid me of myself, I belong to you, oh lead me... lead me to the cross". Not so different in the message. Some people say the newer songs "stir the emotions" more, others say the old hymns are stiff and unappealing. Some people say the hymns are "dead words", other's say that the contemporary songs are blasphemous or an abomination. It's just something to argue about, to divide us more. But, honestly, if you don't come before God with a heart prepared for worship (surrendered to him, open, loving, accepting) then no matter how "stirring" the worship, you won't find the intimacy you are seeking. You can find intimate worship anywhere, no matter what wrapper it's in. I love music, I love praise and worship, but in the last few months, I've realized more than ever that I can find that anywhere... even in the breeze in the trees seen while sitting on my granny's carport, the sound of Henry's laugh or the look on all our faces when we see him take steps, or when Robbie does something sweet (like the dishes, haha). These are things that bring glory to God. So, my heart jumps for joy and I feel the love of God all around me and I thank him for his abundant grace and kindness to me, to us, even though I didn't ask for it, he just gave it, just as I am. That, is praise.

So, don't forget the Library. There's a lot of information to be found there. There's no use in talking bad about it or acting as if you've never been to it. And don't let the new wrapper fool you, B&N is essentially a contemporary library. But no matter which place you choose to call your information station, you'll still have to search out the section you are looking for and search through books that aren't in alphabetical order (even when are supposed to be) to find what you're looking for. A bookseller or the librarian may be able to take you to the section, but they can't read the book for you and, unfortunately, the information won't seep through by osmosis. Happy reading. Can't wait to hear what y'all find out!! :D

No comments: