Saturday, July 19, 2008

asleep at the wheel

A continuation of "whatever it takes..." is where I was headed with this blog. The more I contemplated it, the more praying for God's will became more apparent. This scripture has been on my mind for days:

Mark 14:-38
They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." He took Peter, James and John along with him and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch." Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. "Abba, Father," he said, "every thing is possbile for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but your will be done." Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Simon," he said to Peter, "are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."

Even Christ prayed for God's will. "Not what I will, but your will be done." What a powerful affirmation that Christ was, indeed, human and that he asked for God's will. He is asking to not have to die. He is asking for a different ending to his life. If God had stepped in to save his own son from this humiliating death, then there would be no crucifixion, no resurrection. No redemption of sin. No power of life over death. Our lives would be eternally different. Where would our hope lie? Would there be any hope?

The second interesting point in this scripture is the second bolded line. "Could you not keep watch for one hour? Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." Let's back it up a minute. Jesus is praying in a garden the night he is arrested and taken to the so-called trial that leads to his crucifixion. He has prayed for the will of God to be done. He knows the steps and what will happen because he is also God. He could run, he could attempt to "change his destiny" but he doesn't. He asks his disciples to "keep watch". But what are they watching for? Kidnappers? murderers? flowers to bloom? the sun to rise? For real, they are watching for Judas and the guards. Jesus knows the will of God is that he be arrested and stand trial. It is God's will. Jesus asks his disciples to sit and watch for God's will to come. Then he comes and finds them sleeping, awakens them, and tells them to watch and pray. They still fall asleep. Could they not watch and pray for God's will for one hour? Watch and pray so they will not fall into temptation? Their spirits were willing, they have professed their love and devotion to Christ at the last supper. But their flesh is weak. They are weary with watching and have decided to give it a rest.

The temptation is to make God's will our own. To take things into our own hands. To try and rationalize everything when all we are told to do is "watch and pray". This is faith. This is discernment. To ask for God's will to be done and expect it. To watch for it, hopefully and expectantly. To pray for it faithfully. Can we not wait for "one hour" for God's will to be done? Why is our flesh so weak we can not wait even a short time for the answers he has to our prayers. Lord, give us the strength in our flesh to meet the strength of our spirit. GIve us the strength we need for our feet to follow the steps you lay out for us in our private moments with you, when our spirit is so willing. Keep us seeking you always, never slumbering in our own will. Amen.

My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
(Psalm 73:26).

2 comments:

beatybass said...

Great article Kim. What does it take for us to get our flesh to submit to His will? I think that is a worthy question in our personal lives?

ck said...

I so wish I knew what it takes to get our flesh to submit. I mean, do we beat ourselves or what?

I have thought for days about this and finally, at Bible study this week it hit me. We were doing our worship portion of the study and the song said it. "Your will above all else, my purpose remains, the art of losing myself in bringing you praise." It still requires a choice. It is never just "going to happen on it's own". Here's what I got when I prayed/meditated some more.

Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strengh of my heart and my portion forever."
2 Peter 5:6 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's might hand that he may lift you up in due time."

Humility, to me, is best found in earnest (honest and truthful) prayer, praise and intimate worship with my Bible OPEN. I can not come with pride before the Lord and find him. It is very hard to do his will when I am prideful of my flesh thinking I already know (like an early teenager) how to do everything. But, when I can truly come to him in prayer, when I can truly thank him for all the blessings that have happened in my life, when I can lay down all my fears and anxieties and all the mess of the day before him, I am humbled by his grace and majesty when I read the promises he made thousands of years ago for the generations.

But that comes back to choices. I have to choose to spend time with God to know how to pray, how to praise, how to worship. And most importantly how to know what words are of God and what words are of my flesh. I have to read the Bible. I have to envelop myself in his culture and hope it rubs off on me (thank you, Holy Spirit for calling stuff to mind when my flesh forgets).

That's all I got.