Thursday, October 30, 2008

speedbumps?

"I will wait for you, Jesus. You're the sun in my horizon..... all my hope's in you, Jesus, I can see you now, arising...." Thank you, Jason Upton, for the stunning illumination.

I have been "navel gazing" this week. Thinking about myself. Thinking about how my plans are being thwarted lately by the world. Things happen. You have to "roll with the punches", and sometimes I'm better at it than others. I remembered the verse that says, "even the darkness is light to you" (Psalms). Last night I started to put it all together. There are a lot of metaphors in the Bible, and even more in the words of earlier Christian writers. Symbol after symbol. When I see the word "sun", particularly in the New Testament, sometimes I like to substitute the word "Son" and see if it still makes sense, or sometimes, even more sense. I was praying the other night and this Jason Upton song came up on my iPod with the words as noted above. I couldn't help but substitute. I like the symbol of the Son as the sun. It makes him truly illuminating.

"Even the darkness is light to you" because the Son is just past the horizon, reflecting light off the moon. The son is hope. The sun brings a new day. I see you on the horizon. My hope is in the horizon.... a new day, given by the SON, not made by me. Given in time HE created, not me. I have no control of time, only what I do with the time I have. I have no control of the timing of events or situations in my life, only what I do with the situations I am given as they are given.

We get disappointed when we don't get our way. Even when we think our hearts are in the right place, our hopes can be misplaced in "the plan" and not "in the son". The only hope to be found is in the Son. We lose the glory in the situation when we cease to see that we are not the author of the dawn and we can not illuminate the darkness ourselves. Everything we do will fall short of the glory of God.

Matthew 5:44-45 "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

No comments: