Monday, August 11, 2008

annoyance

So, my cat, Leo, is a crazy creature. At least, that's how I end up viewing him at some point each day. He can be very gentle and sweet and sit at my feet, cuddling up for the night. It's very peaceful when he just rests with me... but the morning is different. In the morning, sometimes, he annoys me more than anything. If the sun is up, he thinks I should be up. As much as I am a creature of habit, he is moreso! He is so used to me getting up at 6:00a.m. that if I am not up at 6, he is meowing... marching the foot of the bed... walking on my night stand... tapping the blinds with his nose or paws... trying to turn my lamp over... picking the carpet!! So, I roll out of bed and I start to get ready for work.

As if it isn't enough he got me up so early, when I get out of the shower, he sits at my feet and meows. Why? Because I have a crazy cat who actually plays FETCH! Yep, like a dog. There are little bits of paper and gum wrappers (he loves silver gum wrappers) all over my house because he likes to play. He will bring the paper and lay it next to my feet and meow and Meow and MEOW until I pick it up and throw it. If I rip a piece of paper, he will stop whatever he is doing to come to see if I am ready to play. He loves to play! It's like he lives for it. He will play for hours if I let him. As long as you throw it (and he sees you do it), he will continue to go get it and bring it back. As the day goes on, if I get into a book or a crochet project, he sits on the book or tries to get into the yarn or tries to "make bread" on the project (he likes soft things). In the evening, when he is ready to go to bed, he impatiently looks at me and meows until he settles wherever I am to rest a while. He walks around til he has my attention, then lays down for loving and petting.

I videoed him playing fetch this morning, thinking I would post it on the KimandRobbie blog for our families. Then one of those epiphanies hit this evening. I love this cat's persistence!! Don't get me wrong, it is completely annoying when he is trying to climb on the kitchen counter or lick the ice in my glass or even wake me at 6a.m.! But, I have to admire his tenacity. I wish I had that same persistent determination and abandon when it comes to my relationship with God. What if when I wake up, I wake him up and I keep praising and talking til he listens? What if I loved my time with him so much, that the minute I saw a second to spend with him, I brought my paper to his feet and begged him to play with me and just enjoyed every second I had with him? What if every night I looked for him before I went to bed so I could cuddle with him, get wrapped in his arms, be reminded I am loved and rest with that peace for the night? Thanks, Leo, I've learned a lot from you today!!

Psalm 5:3
In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

Psalm 92:1-2
It is good to praise the LORD and make music to your name,
O Most High, to proclaim your love in the morning
and your faithfulness at night,

Isaiah 26:3-4
You will keep in perfect peace him
whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.
Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD,
the LORD, is the Rock eternal.

Isaiah 26:9
My soul yearns for you in the night;
in the morning my spirit longs for you.

Check out Leo doing his thing from this morning:

No comments: